Revisiting the Meaning of Technology

Hello All,

Over the past week I found an article which discussed the use of technology in Reggio Emilia inspired programs. While it addressed the various ways in which technology can be used in the early learning environment, the article also caused me to pause and consider the covert technology that is used in my classroom by myself and my kindergarten students almost every day. When I think of technology I often think of computers or iPads but technology can be found in less apparent ways as well. Now with that being said, I am not considering scissors or pencils as technology. Instead, I took a look around my classroom and noticed the following:

• light table to illuminate objects and for tracing
  • CD player used for the listening center
  • lights used for shadow play
  • electric pencil sharpener
  • hot glue guns for building
  • power drill for larger projects
  • SmartBoard
  • Macbook
boy near white wooden shelf

(Source: https://unsplash.com/photos/SBIak0pKUIE)

The range of technologies in my classroom is wide; however, depending on how they are implemented, they can all very much fit into the Reggio Emilia philosophy. Mitchell (2007) outlined 8 different ways in which technology may be a part of Reggio Emilia inspired programming:

• Technology as Tools of Inquiry
  • Constructing New Knowledge
  • Tools to Promote Creativity
  • Bringing Inanimate Things to Life
  • Use of Assistive Technology to Support Learning
  • Documentation
  • Communication
  • Training

Prior to reading Mitchell’s (2007) work, as indicated in my previous blog posts, I had really only considered the documentation and communication facets of technology within the Reggio Emilia philosophy. I have previously discussed photo documentation and communicating home digitally; however, Mitchell (2007) adds technology’s ability to connect children and their learning to the wider community. This connection enables children to not only share out but also to learn from experts in the community-a proponent of Vygotsky’s Socio-Cultural theory.

boy sitting while holding electronic device part

(Source: https://unsplash.com/photos/t3d22GqvUqs)

When considering technology as tools of inquiry, tools to promote creativity, and tools of knowledge construction, I see these three categories as very much overlapping and being fluid with one another. Mitchell (2007) suggested digital libraries as tools of inquiry which is really only a substitution for traditional library research. Mitchell (2007) indicated technology’s ability to help problem solve which in turn leads to knowledge construction. The example given was about a group of children making spaceships out of clay and wanting to join their spaceships to make one large creation. Mitchell (2007) envisioned the children problem solving by doing an internet search and watching videos of spaceships. The use of technology in this scenario is very much intertwined in inquiry-based learning because the children are inquiring about how to meld their spaceships and the materials to use. To promote creativity, Mitchell (2007) offered the idea of housing technology in the atelier–the artistic space for creative exploration in Reggio Emilia learning environment–alongside art supplies and natural materials. The juxtaposition of the natural materials with technological tools creates a sort of cognitive dissonance for me. I had a preconceived notion that the Reggio Emilia philosophy solely encompassed natural, loose parts; however, it has become apparent after reading Mitchell’s (2007) article and browsing Galloway’s (2015) website  that technology is yet another tool for children to play, learn, grow, and express themselves.

Galloway, A. (2015). A reggio emilia inspired maker space. Retrieved from http://reggioinspiredmakerspace.weebly.com/reggio-emilia-background.html

Mitchell, L. M. (2007). Using technology in reggio emilia-inspired programs. Theory into Practice, 46(1), 32-39. doi:10.1207/s15430421tip4601_5

Previous

New Media Literacies and the Reggio Emilia Philosophy

Next

Home-School Connection via Documentation

1. trideout

Thanks for sharing Ashley! I particularly enjoyed reading the Reggio Emilia perspective of using technology as a tool for inquiry. Have you checked out my blog about technology as a teaching partner? I have yet to consider how to intentionally display technological tools to might invite students inquiries. I wonder how I can best provoke student inquiries in my own classroom with the tools I have available to me.

Trisha

Powered by WordPress & Theme by Anders Norén